Tasty and Nutritious Bread Recipe Using Fresh Pumpkins Recipe
Pumpkin is a healthy and delicious fruit. It is also consumed as a savory vegetable in some parts of the world. Pumpkin can be easily added in to bread recipes to create a tasty and nutritious snack and side dish. Here is an easy to prepare pumpkin bread recipe that you can bake at home.
- Items needed:
- 1 cup of fresh pumpkin mashed finely
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 packed cup of light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup of canola oil
- 1/3 cup of yogurt
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup of wheat flour (you can substitute this with whole grain flour if you wish)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of fresh ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- - Preheat the oven to 350F.
- - In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites and brown sugar till light and fluffy.
- - Add the oil and yogurt to the mix and whisk some more to blend well.
- - Add the vanilla essence and pumpkin to the mix and mix well.
- - In a separate bowl, mix the all-purpose flour, wheat flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- - Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix all the ingredients well. Mix till all the ingredients are just combined. Do not over-mix.
- - Grease an 8-inch meat loaf or bread pan and pour the prepared batter in the pan.
- - Bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes.
- - Let the bread cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. Invert on a wire rack and cool completely before serving or storing.
- Storing the bread:
- - Pumpkin bread is nice and moist in the center and, therefore, can be stored for long periods of time.
- - You can wrap the loaf in foil and store in a zip lock bag in the freezer or you can cut the bread in slices and store individually. Make sure that you thaw the bread to room temperature before serving.
- Serving suggestions:
- - Serve on a wooden cutting board and decorate with cherries on the side.
- - You can also serve this bread with some whipped cream and fresh fruit.
- - In a hurry? Just spread some butter or cream cheese on a slice of healthy pumpkin bread and you have a filling snack ready in minutes.
- - You can also add some walnuts and flaxseeds in the bread batter to add more crunch and nutrition.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 155g|
|Recipe makes 5 servings|
|Calories from Fat 106||24%|
|Total Fat 12.0g||15%|
|Saturated Fat 1.28g||5%|
|Trans Fat 0.04g|
|Total Carbs 79.15g||21%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.6g||5%|