Sourdough Bread a Homemade Recipe
In the diet-conscious world of today, soups and salads have made their way from the entrees to the main dish. Obviously, the bread that is served with them should be not too heavy and easily digested. There is nothing better than serving homemade bread with the dishes that will make you the star chef at any dinner party. If you are looking for something easy to make then here is a sourdough bread machine recipe to help you with your cooking.
The most important part of the sourdough recipe is the sourdough starter, which determines the sourness of the dough and also the crustiness of the dough. This starter needs to be prepared up to a week in advance before use.
- For preparing the starter at home, you will need:
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour (or if you want to reduce the gluten in the bread, then use wheat flour)
- 1 packet of dry active yeast
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 1 cup of warm water (110-115F)
- To prepare the bread you will need:
- Bread machine flour (or wheat flour for gluten reduction) - 3 Â½ cups
- White sugar â 2 tablespoons
- Active dry bread machine yeast â 2 Â¼ teaspoons
- Salt â 2 teaspoons
- Warm milk â Â¾ cup (use fresh)
- Butter at room temperature â 1 Â½ tablespoons
- Sourdough starter â 1 cup
- - Take a deep glass jar (as the mixture ferments it will increase in volume, therefore a deep jar is a must) and put in the flour, sugar and Â½ cup of water.
- - Mix the yeast with the rest of the water and whisk it so that bubbles are formed.
- - Pour this mix in the jar and whisk the contents.
- - Cover the jar with a cheesecloth and let it rest in a corner.
- - You will notice bubbles are being formed in the mix, which signals the beginning of the starter preparation.
- - Store the jar in the fridge for at least one week before use.
- - Measure a cup of starter and let it rest at room temperature for 30 minutes before using.
- - In the bread machine pan, mix 1 cup of flour, sugar, salt and the required yeast.
- - Set the machine to regular bread cycle and your choice of crust.
- - Now add the butter and milk.
- - Put the rest of the flour on top of the mix and close the lid of the bread machine.
- - Let it run the full cycle. Once the bread is ready, take it out of the pan and cool on a wire rack.
- - Cut in slices to serve.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 197g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 27||6%|
|Total Fat 3.05g||4%|
|Saturated Fat 1.06g||4%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 94.06g||25%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.3g||14%|