Chili Sauce Recipe
Chili sauce is one answer to that bumper tomato harvest. The perky piquant sauce can compliment many classic recipes like meatballs, meatloaf, cutlets, chops, tenders, eggs, potatoes, etc. This recipe is from Ball Blue Book of Canning (2010) and is what I’d deem a standard chili sauce for a wide variety of family uses. It is not too spicy or hot - but that makes it more versatile for different uses. You can easily make part batches if you don't have as many tomatoes, and a smaller batch will shorten the simmering time a little. For example for one-fourth recipe, change the 96 in "Number of servings" below to 24 and click "Calculate."
- 4 quarts chopped, peeled and cored tomatoes (about 24 large)
- 2 cups chopped onions (about 2 medium)
- 2 cups chopped sweet red peppers (about 4 medium)
- 1 hot red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 3 tablespoons mixed pickling spices
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 2 Â½ cups vinegar
- Combine tomatoes, onions, peppers, sugar and salt in large saucepot. Simmer 45 minutes.
- Tie spices in spice bag and add bag to tomato mixture. Simmer uncovered until reduced by one- half. As mixture thickens stir frequently to prevent sticking or scorching.
- Add vinegar and simmer uncovered to desired thickness, stirring occasionally.
- Remove spice bag. Ladle hot sauce into sterile hot canning jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Adjust two-piece caps. Process 15 minutes in boiling water bath canner. (Timing for sea level and up to 1,000 feet altitude. To adjust processing time to higher altitudes and to see other general canning information see âUseful Linksâ below.)
- Yield: About 6 pints, or 96 one-ounce servings (2 tablespoons each)
- Serving Ideas for chili sauce: (1) Pour over meat loaf in the final 20 minutes of baking. (2) Pour over a block of cream cheese and serve with crackers.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 38g|
|Recipe makes 96 servings|
|Calories from Fat 1||6%|
|Total Fat 0.11g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0.02g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 3.68g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.5g||2%|