Skinny Shredded Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches, No Crock Pot Needed Recipe
I’ve trimmed the fat and calories by making the coleslaw with a skinny dressing and using a 100 calorie, fiber rich, sandwich thin for the bun. The skinny for 1 sandwich, only 238 calories, 4 grams of fat and 6 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. If you’re not looking to feed a crowd just cut this recipe in half.
- Ingredients for Chicken:
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 (18 oz) bottle of Sweet Baby Rayâs Honey Barbecue sauce or your favorite
- Ingredients for Coleslaw:
- 6 cups shredded white cabbage, 1 (10 oz) bag
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- Â¾ cup scallions, chopped
- 4 tablespoons light mayonnaise, I like Best Foods (Hellmanâs) Light
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2Â½ tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Â¼ teaspoon prepared white horseradish
- 2 packages Oroweatâs Honey Wheat Sandwich Thins, see shopping tip
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place chicken breasts in a roasting pan or rectangular Pyrex baking dish. Arrange sliced onions over the chicken, then pour the barbecue sauce over top, reserving 1 cup for later. Cover the baking dish/pan tightly with foil and place in the oven. Cook chicken for 1 hour, remove foil and cook for about 10 minutes longer until chicken is fork tender.
- In the meantime, prepare the coleslaw-In a large bowl add the cabbage, carrots and scallions. In a small bowl mix together the dressing ingredients. Refrigerate the coleslaw and dressing separately until ready to serve. Donât toss until serving to keep coleslaw crisp and crunchy, not soggy.
- Remove the chicken to a plate or cutting board. Using two forks, pull the chicken breasts apart to shred the meat. Place the shredded chicken back in the pan, add the reserved 1 cup barbecue sauce and toss the chicken well to thoroughly coat in the sauce thatâs remaining in the pan.
- Serve the pulled chicken warm. Place on the bottom of each sandwich thin Â½ cup barbecue shredded chicken. Add onion, Â¾ cup slaw and top with sandwich thin.
- If you have any leftovers, the shredded chicken freezes great. You can use leftover chicken to stuff a baked potato or add to a salad.
- Makes 12 servings (each serving Â½ cup shredded chicken and Â¾ cup coleslaw)
- Shopping Tip-Oroweat Honey Wheat Sandwich Thins can be found in most large supermarkets. One sandwich thin has 100 calories, 1g fat and 5g fiber. They come in several flavors with the same nutrition facts. Several brands are available so if you canât find Oroweat, use one of the others brands.
- ***For more skinny recipes, please join me at http://www.skinnykitchen.com
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 115g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 42||37%|
|Total Fat 4.7g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 0.73g||3%|
|Trans Fat 0.02g|
|Total Carbs 5.68g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.4g||5%|