Peach Rum Sauce Recipe
Lip-smacking delicious! A spoonful of this delicately flavored luscious sauce turns ordinary desserts into memorable treats. Warm and serve over ice cream, or use for French toast or your morning breakfast bread. The first time I made this recipe (found on freshpreserving.com) I was skeptically cautious, canning it in small jars to use as token gifts - BIG MISTAKE! Bet you can't have just a little taste of this! I'll use standard pint jars from now on! (Although this is a sauce, its consistency is also perfect as a soft spread for bread.)
- 6 cups finely chopped peaches, pitted, peeled and treated to prevent browning (I like to use KAL’s C-Crystals pure vitamin C to prevent browning; use the equivalent measure of Vitamin C crystals for 1500 mg to 2 quarts soaking water)
- 2 cups lightly packed brown sugar
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup rum
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 7 (8 ounce half-pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands
- Prepare boiling water canner. Heat clean jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use; set bands aside.
- Drain peaches from soaking liquid but do not rinse, then combine them in large 6 to 8 quart saucepot with brown and granulated sugars, rum and lemon zest. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves.
- Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring occasionally until thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Ladle promptly into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch head space. Remove air bubbles if needed, adding additional sauce to meet headspace. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar; apply band and adjust until it is fingertip tight.
- Process jars in boiling water canner for 10 minutes (adjust for altitude if needed.) Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
- Yield 7 8-ounce jars (56 ounces, approximately 112 servings at 1 tablespoon each.)
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 16g|
|Recipe makes 112 servings|
|Calories from Fat 0||0%|
|Total Fat 0.02g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0.0g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 8.18g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.1g||0%|