Homemade Farfalle Pasta Salad for July 4th Recipe
Tomatoes, fresh basil, garlic and olive oil are all that is needed for this fresh pasta salad that you can prepare a day ahead. Homemade farfalle brings it to a new level.
Cost per serving $0.31 view details
- 4 cups flour (all purpose, or half all purpose and half semolina flour)
- Pinch of salt
- 4 medium eggs
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Water (tepid)
- Place the flour mixture on a pastry board and make a well in the middle. Add the eggs, olive oil, salt and a small amount of water (if needed). Begin to stir the flour from the outside of the well into the wet ingredients. Continue this process until the dough holds together in a ball.
- The dough should seem as if it is too dry, it should just stick together and the kneading should allow you to make a ball. Once it is rolled out in a pasta machine it will hold together. If the dough is too wet, rub a little flour on it, as it will be difficult to handle and too sticky to roll through the pasta machine.
- Knead the dough for at least 10-15 minutes, and allow it to rest covered with a clean kitchen towel at room temperature for at least 15 minutes.
- After allowing the dough to rest, cut a piece off large enough to roll out to about 1â long and 6â wide (these measurements are only a guideline, you can make it larger, this size is easy to work with). Roll the dough out until the dough is thin. Try to get a feel for the dough as you are rolling it out. Rub just enough of flour to allow you to work with it if it is too sticky. If you are using a rolling pin get a sense of the thickness by feeling the dough. Repeat the same thickness with each section that you roll out. Because there is egg in this dough the pasta will swell when cooking.
- A pasta machine works very well as the consistency will always be the same. The process of rolling the dough through the different thickness settings also kneads it.
- Cut strips about 1 1/4â wide with a clean cut lengthwise (you can use a pizza cutter). Make vertical cuts about 1â wide with a cookie cutter which has a fluted edge. When you have all the cuts made, pinch the middle of each one forming a bow.
- When ready to cook, place the farfalle directly into salted boiling water. Fresh pasta takes only a few minutes to cook check after 3-5 minutes. The time will depend on whether you cook them fresh or dried. Remove them when they are al dente. Drain them and run them under a little cold water if you are going to use them for pasta salad.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 118g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 70||18%|
|Total Fat 7.88g||10%|
|Saturated Fat 1.56g||6%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 63.79g||17%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.3g||8%|