FIG chocolate PORT nutty Ice Cream Recipe
This modified recipe revealed the essence behind the creamy, rich and eggless ice-cream.
FIGS, CHOCOLATE and ALMONDS would all be blended together with a spirited touch of PORT wine.
Note: this recipe got a refreshed update.
For a dedicated post...refer here:
- . > (American / Metric measures) <
- . Note: 1 can (370ml/1-1/2 cups) of evaporated milk will be needed
- . > Fig mix - Part-1:
- . 5 fresh figs of choice
- . 2 Tbsps. (30ml) aged Port wine
- . 1 Tbsp. (15ml) Vodka
- . 1 tsp. (5ml) orange blossom water (optional)
- . > Custard Cream- Part-2 to be made ahead of time
- . 1/2 cup (125ml) Coconut cream milk
- . 1/2 cup (125ml) 2% evaporated milk
- . 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- . 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- . 1/4 tsp. (1.25ml) sea salt
- . 1 tsp. (5ml) pure Almond extract
- . > Custard Cream - continued - Part-3...to later place into the freezer
- . 1 cup (250ml) 2% evaporated milk
- Add-ins: 1/4 cup (90g) roasted almonds, coarsely chopped and 1/4 cup (90g) bitter-sweet 65-70% chocolate, coarsely chopped
- . Part-1 - Macerate the Fig mix: In a medium bowl, peel and coarsely mash the figs. Pour the Port wine, Vodka, as well as the (optional) orange blossom water. Give it a toss and set it aside by covering it up for a minimum of 1 hour. This can be prepared ahead of time up to a full day.
- . Part-2 - Cream custard: In a small saucepan, heat the milk(s) and sugar(s) on MEDIUM heat and whisk until a thickening begins slightly as the custard rises in the pot. At this point dip a spoon to rub a line through the coating. The custard is done when the edges along the line keep their shape. Immediately close the heat and remove it to set it aside. Whisk in sea salt and almond extract. After (whisking in between) 10 minutes of cooling, transfer the custard into a medium bowl and cover it with a plastic wrap touching the surface. Leave it for about 30 minutes before refrigerating it for a minimum of 3 hours to overnight.
- . Part-3: (Much later or next day) Pour the remaining evaporated milk into a deep, large stainless steel bowl and place it into the freezer. Leave it undisturbed for 2 to 2-1/2 hrs. all depending on the freezer's strength. The center should not be completely frozen.
- . > ASSEMBLY: (do these next steps with urgency...keeping ingredients always as cold as possible.) Remove the bowl from the freezer. With an electrical whisk, whip the partially frozen milk until it holds its peak. Then, gently fold and whisk in the strained liquor from the figs into the cold custard. Last, fold in the custard into the whipped evaporated milk. Note: Cover the figs in the meantime until needed. Then, gently fold and whisk in the cold custard and liquor into the whipped evaporated milk. Note: Here's where an ice-cream machine can be used. Otherwise, place this mix (covered) at the back of the freezer.
- . Note: the next steps requires an electric beater and also make sure to rinse the beaters in between. After the first 30 minutes, with a beater, whisk the mix quickly in order to break up the initial forming crystals. Freeze and REPEAT within the next 30 minutes. Freeze again for a last 30 minutes. Then, at the very end, REPEAT one last time. Fold in the figs, almonds and chocolate before immediately pouring the mix into a freezer proof container. Note: Place a piece of parchment paper touching the surface before covering it.
- . Flavourful wishes from Claudia's kitchen...Foodess.com
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 0g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 0||0%|
|Total Fat 0.0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0.0g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 0.0g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.0g||0%|