Canned Salsa Genovesi Style Recipe
Salsa is the Spanish for sauce. Salsa is the combination of chilies, tomatoes, celery, cilantro and a variety of other ingredients, and has been documented back to the Aztec culture. In 1529, Bernardino de Sahagun, a Franciscan missionary documented "sauce" , and other foods common to Aztec culture Salsa became popular in the American Southwest in the 1940's, and has steadily increased in popularity, and today is part of the American diet. Italian families have made salsa as far back as I can recall.
- 1/2 bushel Roma tomatoes ( or others) , blanched, skins removed and chopped. ( use food processor).
- 35+ peppers: 10 or so jalapeno, 8 large green, and about 17 variety of yellow, red, both mild and hot. Remove seeds from all peppers except the jalapeno. Slice all peppers
- 12 unpeeled carrots, shredded
- 9 ribs celery, sliced thin.
- 6 lg. onions, quartered and sliced thin.
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 C. cilantro or parsley, chopped
- 2 C. sugar
- 2 C. vinegar
- 3 T. lemon juice
- 1 T. salt (optional)
- 1. Put all ingredients into an 18 quart electric roaster. Bring to boil, stir often, let cook for about 2 hours until all is blended.
- 2. Sometime within this cooking time, add 4 or 5 of Mrs. Wages Salsa Mix. ( only use 1/2 half the amount of vinegar shown on package.
- 3. Add about 5 cps of tomato paste ( or 1/2 # 10 can of paste); this will thicken the brine. Sir often, let cook 45 minutes to an hour.
- 4. Using the tongs, get jars from the hot water, drain all water in bottles, and place on flat pan.
- 5. Place funnel on jar. Spoon salsa into a strainer to remove excess brine; then pour salsa into bottle leaving head space. Insert spatula in jar to release air.
- 6. Seal jars. Using a jar lifter, place jars in jar rack. Immerse into the water bath. bring water to a rolling boil. Process pints for 35 minutes; quarts 45 minutes
- 7. After processed, lift jars from pan and let cool over night
- Yield: 14 quarts
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 193g|
|Recipe makes 14 servings|
|Calories from Fat 2||1%|
|Total Fat 0.22g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0.05g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 39.86g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.7g||9%|