Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes with Caramelized Onion and Sage Recipe
If you've been searching for a new sweet potato recipe to serve, look no further!
These twice baked sweet potatoes are light and healthier than the traditional casseroles filled with brown sugar and marshmallows. This recipe let the natural sweetness in the potatoes shine, while the dominant peppery, savory flare of sage come through. The addition of caramelized onions, orange zest and Parmesan cheese balance out wow factor.
These probably will work better for those of you having smaller meals, although the recipe can easily be doubled and the bonus is they can be made ahead of time and kept over night in the fridge.
- 2 Medium Sweet Potatoes
- 1 Tbsp. Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Tsp. Dried Sage, Crushed or 1 Tbsp. Fresh Sage, Minced
- 1 Tbsp. Orange Zest
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 1 Pinch Coarsely Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 Small Onion, Diced
- 1/8 Tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 Pinch Each Salt and Coarse Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Pinches Each Grated Parmesan Cheese, Orange Zest and Dried Sage or 4 Small Fresh Sage Leaves
- Heat oven to 400°F. Line cookie sheet with foil; set aside.
- Place sweet potatoes on oven rack. Bake 30 - 35 minutes or until soft. Cool potatoes 20 to 30 minute before handling. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F.
- Meanwhile, heat 8-inch skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and onion; cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to brown. Add garlic powder and stir to combine; cook 2 minutes. Set aside and cool slightly.
- Cut potatoes in half lengthwise. Scoop out flesh into large bowl; reserve potato skins on cookie sheet. Add Parmesan, sage, orange zest, salt and pepper to potato flesh; stir to combine.
- Add onion to potato mixture; stir to combine. Divide mixture evenly among potato skins.
- Sprinkle with additional salt, pepper, Parmesan, orange zest, and dried sage. If using fresh sage, add after reheated and serving. Bake 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 61g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 34||41%|
|Total Fat 3.88g||5%|
|Saturated Fat 0.76g||3%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 10.75g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.8g||6%|