Oatmeal Lovers' Sugar Cookies Recipe
Oatmeal is the predominant ingredient in this sugar cookie recipe and that might seem a little bizarre. But don't expect your typical oatmeal cookies here! These have a far different texture and taste. Be sure to use quick oats rather than old fashioned. Bake up a batch and make a platter to share with your Valentines!
- 1 cup butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups oatmeal (quick oats are best)
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- Coarse sugar crystals or granulated sugar to sprinkle on top
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper (or lightly spray)
- Beat butter, sugar and vanilla until thoroughly mixed.
- Add oatmeal and flour; mix well. Divide dough in half; place one ball back in the mixing bowl and cover with plastic wrap or a lightly dampened towel to keep it from drying out.
- Place the other ball on lightly flour-dusted bread board and roll out to 1/4" to 3/8" thickness using as little additional flour as possible to keep from sticking. You can either score into squares with a knife or make round cookies as follows:
- Using cookie cutter design of your choice, cut out shapes and lift cookies off bread board with a spatula to the prepared baking pans leaving an inch or so between. Sprinkle coarse sugar crystals over top of each.
- (Alternately you can pinch off dough in small egg-size balls, place on lightly floured bread board, press with your palm or use a rolling pin and flatten to round cookie shapes about 3/8" thick.)
- Bake at 350 degrees F. about 13-15 minutes until cookie edges barely begin to brown (see Photo 2 for color of baked cookie bottom). Remove from oven and place pan on wire rack for 5 minutes without disturbing. Then carefully lift each cookie to wire rack to cool. Cookies are fragile when warm, but after cooling become firm.
- Yield: Varies depending on size but figure about 3 dozen cookies.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 23g|
|Recipe makes 30 servings|
|Calories from Fat 57||50%|
|Total Fat 6.54g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 3.96g||16%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 12.69g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.7g||2%|