Italian Herb Bread (Bread Machine or Conventional Yeast Bread Method) Recipe
Garlic and Italian herbs infuse this homemade bread which can be made in a bread machine or by conventional yeast bread method. Use it as a dinner bread spread with butter or dipped in olive oil. Or slice for meat or cheese sandwiches. Makes a 24-ounce loaf. Oh, mamma-mia.......delicio!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaf
- 3/4 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups bread flour (to measure, spoon flour lightly into cup without packing then level off)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons dry yeast
- BREAD MACHINE METHOD:
- Heat oil in small skillet. Add garlic and the 4 dried herbs. Sauté for 2 minutes, avoiding scorching the garlic. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Put herb oil and remaining ingredients in bread machine in order recommended by machine manufacturer.
- Select white bread, medium crust, 1 1/2 pound loaf. Press Start.
- CONVENTIONAL YEAST BREAD METHOD (w/Stand Mixer):
- Prepare herb oil as in Step #2 above; set aside.
- Using a heavy-duty stand mixer and dough hooks, mix water and milk with sugar, salt and herb oil mixture. Beat in flour and yeast and "knead"by machine until a smooth ball of dough is formed which is soft and elastic, about 5-6 minutes.
- Remove dough and place in greased bowl, turning to coat top. Cover with clean towel or with plastic wrap loosely and allow to proof in a warm location free of drafts until doubled in size, about 1 hour or more. Punch down. Spray or grease a bread loaf pan.
- Shape dough and fit into prepared pan, seam side and ends down. Cover with towel and allow to proof until almost doubled in size, 30-45 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. about 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and turn out of pan onto wire rack. Cool completely before slicing or wrapping.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 31g|
|Recipe makes 24 servings|
|Calories from Fat 19||23%|
|Total Fat 2.12g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 0.35g||1%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 13.14g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.5g||2%|