Multi-Grain Bread (Bread Machine or Conventional) Recipe
An all-around favorite in our family. Serve with homemade soup, use for grilled sandwiches and as toast. The variety of grains provides a nutty texture. But if you don’t have all the grains on hand, just sub whole wheat for the same amounts. Can be made conventional yeast method, but I always START with my Toshiba Bread Machine on the whole wheat setting, then INTERRUPT the cycle just before baking begins; that way I have a built-in bread mixer, kneader and proof oven, but I get to shape and control the baking to perfection, and have bread slices traditionally shaped.
- 1 1/3 cups warm water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons molasses (or brown sugar)
- 2 tablespoons oil (safflower, canola, olive)
- 1 1/4 cups bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup oatmeal
- 1/3 cup rye flour
- 1/8 cup powdered milk
- 1/8 cup oat bran
- 1/8 cup wheat germ
- 1/8 cup wheat gluten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dough enhancer (optional)
- 2 teaspoons yeast (bread machine or rapid)
- Make conventional yeast bread method, or for a bread machine, place ingredients in canister in order listed by manufacturer.
- Use the Whole Wheat setting and either start then, or set for delay timing (as long as milk powder and yeast are separated from water by flour, there's no problem with a delay start.) .
- If you do not have a Whole Wheat setting on your bread machine, try the White Bread Light setting for medium size 1 1/2 pound loaf.
- To interrupt cycle before baking begins: Check your machine instruction book for Program Specs if it's included, as this will tell you how long before the cycle's end the baking begins and you can stop the machine then. Remove dough from canister, shape into loaf, place in greased bread loaf pan, cover and let rise a final time, which will only take about 20-30 minutes because dough is so aerated.
- I like to slash top of loaf right before I put in oven to control the bloom (prevent split or separation.) Use a very sharp knife tip and run a shallow slash down the center. See loaf photo.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool on wire rack for one hour before slicing.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 50g|
|Recipe makes 16 servings|
|Calories from Fat 21||18%|
|Total Fat 2.37g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 0.24g||1%|
|Trans Fat 0.04g|
|Total Carbs 19.08g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.0g||7%|