Vegetable Lasagna Recipe
Lasagna laced with garden vegetables makes a healthier pasta alternative to traditional lasagna. Don’t let the list of ingredients daunt you. I just consider it my afternoon therapy session. The veggies are cut in small pieces to layer better between noodles. As usual, this is way better the next day than the first (and even 2 or 3 days beyond that!), so whenever possible I try to make it a day ahead.
- 1/2 pound lasagna noodles (I used 9 pieces)
- 1 26-ounce jar of pasta sauce or marinara sauce (about 3 1/4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 8 ounces of mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 15-ounce container ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or a little more as needed)
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli, chopped or cut in small flowerettes and pieces
- 1 cup cauliflower, chopped or cut in small flowerettes and pieces
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow summer squash (or use zucchini here too)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup spinach chopped
- Few fresh leaves basil torn, plus more for garnish (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain.
- Stir together pasta sauce, tomato paste, oregano, and black and red pepper flakes in medium saucepan; cover and simmer 15-20 minutes then remove from heat.
- Grate 4 ounces of the mozzarella cheese. Cut remaining 4 ounces into 12 slices and set aside.
- In medium bowl stir together grated mozzarella and ricotta cheese with the egg and parsley.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray an 8" x 12" oblong baking pan (2 quart capacity) with vegetable spray.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Saute broccoli, cauliflower and carrots 3-4 minutes in oil until they begin to soften but are not yet tender.
- Add garlic, zucchini, squash, mushrooms, spinach, basil and sea salt; saute 2-3 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- Pour 1/2 cup of pasta sauce in bottom of prepared baking pan, tilting to coat bottom.
- TO MAKE LAYERS: Arrange 3 lasagna noodles in pan. Spread 1/3 of the ricotta mixture on first noodle layer, then 1/3 of sauteed veggies and 1 cup of pasta sauce; sprinkle 1/3 of the Parmesan cheese over all. Continue with 2 more identical layers.
- Cover with foil and bake 45-50 minute, or until hot and bubbly. Uncover and arrange mozzarella slices on top. Bake uncovered 5-10 more minutes.
- Allow to stand 15-20 minutes before cutting. Garnish with a few basil leaves and serve.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 182g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 109||39%|
|Total Fat 12.23g||15%|
|Saturated Fat 5.89g||24%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 27.49g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.0g||10%|