Black Bean with Cilantro Spread / Dip Recipe
A quick-to-fix spread/dip to serve for a party or tailgate, or use as a vegetarian lunch entree with pita bread and veggie sticks. Menu ideas abound ~ spread on roasted vegetables or grilled meat sandwiches. Serve with an open-faced grilled beef sandwich on whole-wheat bread with stir-fried vegetables and pineapple sherbet. Best served at room temperature because chilling makes it too thick to use as a dip. This version is low-fat, and if beans are rinsed and no salt is added, it makes a good choice for heart-healthy and diabetes-friendly diets.
- 1 15.25-ounce can black beans
- 2 to 3 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, plus a few extra sprigs for garnish
- 2 tablespoons finely diced red onion
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- Salt and pepper (optional)
- Drain the black beans and save a few teaspoons of the liquid.
- Purée the beans, lime juice, oil, and hot pepper sauce in a food processor or blender, scraping down the sides once or twice. If the mixture seems too dry for the blender to process, add 1 to 3 teaspoons (or more) of black bean liquid to the mixture.
- Add the cilantro. Process it just until the leaves are coarsely chopped and well mixed. Stir in the red onion and garlic.
- Transfer spread to serving dish and garnish with additional cilantro sprigs.
- Serve at room temperature with crackers, pita bread and baked tortilla chips
- Yield: About 2 cups. Figure 10 servings as a party spread/dip, or 3 or 4 lunchplate servings with pita bread.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 44g|
|Recipe makes 10 servings|
|Calories from Fat 9||6%|
|Total Fat 1.02g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0.21g||1%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 24.97g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 6.0g||20%|