Waldorf Salad Recipe
"Spreading the dressing over the fruit mixture before it's chilled seals out air and helps keep the fruit fresh longer".
Who am I to edit out the original note from the Meredith Corporation's 1989 edition of the "Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook"? No, nay, never!
I like this version because I can tell my son there's whipped cream in the dressing! Plus, it's a small recipe, which works fine for our tiny unit.
- 2 cups chopped apple
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/4 cup raisins or snipped pitted whole dates
- 1/4 cup seedless green grapes, halved (optional)
- 1/3 cup whipping cream or 2/3 cup frozen whipped dessert topping, thawed, OR out of a can (why not?)
- 1/4 cu mayonnaise or salad dressing
- Ground nutmeg
- In a bowl, toss apple with lemon juice. Stir in celery, nuts, raisins or dates, and grapes.
- For the dressing, if using whipping cream, whip it to soft peaks.
- Fold mayonnaise into the whipped cream or dessert topping. Spread dressing over the top of the apple mixture. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours.
- To serve, fold dressing into fruit mixture.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 98g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 56||43%|
|Total Fat 6.5g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 2.58g||10%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 19.23g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.1g||7%|