My Homemade Apple Butter with Apple Schnapps Recipe
Two autumn standards, pumpkin and apple. I joined Schnapps Liquor with apple in this lovely spread. Apple Schnapps really adds a surprising element to this.
This spread is wonderful on toast, pancakes, waffles and in pumpkin pie! I might experiment one of these days and see how it would work in traditional apple pie
- 6 Lbs. Tart Apples
- 1 Cup Water
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Lemon Juice
- 3 Cups Granulated Sugar
- 3 Cups Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Dr. McGillicuddy's Apple Pie Schnapps Liquor (See Below)
- 1 Tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp. Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 Tsp. Ground Allspice
- 1/4 Tsp. Ground Cloves
- 1/4 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
- Peel, core and slice apples into water containing 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Until all fruit is prepared. Drain the fruit and cook the apples with 1 cup water, in a heavy, covered saucepan, for 10 - 15 minutes.
- When apples are soft, process until smooth or grind in a food mill. Put puree in a heavy pan and add lemon juice, granulated and brown sugars, liquor, the spices, salt and vanilla. Stir well to blend and heat to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugars.
- Turn heat to low and continue to cook until very thick and spreadable. Stir occasionally so the butter doesn't burn on the bottom or sides.
- To test if butter is done, put a spoonful on a plate and make sure there is no liquid around the edges.
- When done, ladle into hot jars, clean rims, seal and process in water bath canner for 10 minutes.
- Yield: 4 Pints plus 1 Half-Pint
- BEST USE: Apple Schnapps Liquor or McGillicuddy's Apple Pie Schnapps Liquor. These provide the best flavor, personal favorite McGillicuddy's.
- DO NOT USE: Sour Apple Pucker or Sour Apple Schnapps. The sour flavor does not blend well with the spices in my opinion.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 55g|
|Recipe makes 72 servings|
|Calories from Fat 1||1%|
|Total Fat 0.07g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0.02g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 22.15g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.8g||3%|