Favorite Whole Wheat Bread (Bread Machine or Conventional) Recipe
My whole wheat bread of choice. Can be made conventional yeast method, but I always START with my Toshiba Bread Machine on the whole wheat setting, then INTERRUPT the cycle just before baking begins; that way I have a built-in bread mixer, kneader and proof oven, but I get to shape and control the baking to perfection, and have bread slices traditionally shaped.
- 1 1/3 cups very warm water
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons dry milk powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (honey or molasses, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons Vital Wheat Gluten
- 1 teaspoon dough enhancer (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- Make conventional yeast bread method, or for a bread machine, place ingredients in canister in order listed by manufacturer.
- Use the Whole Wheat setting and either start then, or set for delay timing (as long as milk powder and yeast are separated from water by flour, there's no problem with a delay start.) .
- If you do not have a Whole Wheat setting on your bread machine, try the White Bread Light setting for medium size loaf.
- To interrupt cylce before baking begins: Check your machine instruction book for Program Specs if it's included, as this will tell you how long before the cycle's end the baking begins and you can stop the machine then. Remove dough from canister, shape into loaf, place in greased bread loaf pan, cover and let rise a final time (will only take about 30 minutes because dough is so airy.)
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool on wire rack for one hour before slicing.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 50g|
|Recipe makes 16 servings|
|Calories from Fat 20||19%|
|Total Fat 2.23g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 0.21g||1%|
|Trans Fat 0.01g|
|Total Carbs 18.55g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.9g||10%|