Favorite Oatmeal Muffins Recipe
No, not just my favorite oatmeal muffin, these are actually my Number 1 Favorite Muffin ~ period! I love that they are comparatively low-fat and won’t make your fingers greasy as you eat them. I love the crunch of oatmeal, the sweetness of raisins and cinnamon, and the spongy texture buttermilk imparts to baked products. I love that they have extra fiber from whole grains, applesauce and raisins. Not fancy and not rich. Just a simple, everyday quick bread ~ but my stand-by muffin recipe.
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour (I use white whole wheat flour, or half whole wheat and regular AP flour sometimes)
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (I use Splenda Brown Sugar Blend to cut calories)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup raisins (I like to use golden, but regular or dried cranberries can sub)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan or use paper liners.
- In large bowl stir together flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. In separate smaller bowl mix together buttermilk, applesauce, oil, egg and raisins.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry all at once and stir just until moistened.
- Divide evenly among muffin cups. Bake 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven. Allow to stand 2 minutes and then remove from pan onto cooling rack.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 61g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 50||30%|
|Total Fat 5.74g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 0.65g||3%|
|Trans Fat 0.02g|
|Total Carbs 26.82g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.5g||8%|