Skinny Sliders with Caramelized Onions Recipe
Minimizing is the new super-sizing and these little sliders are terrific. No need to heat up the barbecue because these mini burgers are best made on a George Forman grill, Panini maker or in a pan. The deep, subtle sweetness of the caramelized onions really add a wonderful flavor to these little gems. To make them skinny, I’m using very lean ground beef. Next, cooking the onions in the microwave first before sauteing in a pan. This allows you to use just a teaspoon of oil. For the bun, a high fiber sandwich thin instead of a regular mini bun. The skinny for 1 slider is 131 calories, 2.5 grams of fat, 4 grams of fiber and 3 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. Summer is far away but enjoying one of these mini burgers, can be done right now. I love to either serve them as an appetizer or as a meal. For a meal, one slider should be enough if you serve with other foods such as Skinny Fries or Sweet Potato Fries and Simply Crunchy Slaw.
- Ingredients for Grilled Onions
- 2 large yellow onions, cut into slices
- 1 teaspoons olive oil
- 1Â½ tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Ingredients for Burgers
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef, I used Trader Joeâs extra lean ground beef (96/4)
- 1 egg white
- 1 small yellow onion grated, about 1 cup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce
- Â½ teaspoon Lawryâs seasoning salt
- Â½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 12 Oroweat Sandwich Thins, Mini's (50 calories each bun)
- 12 tomato slices, cut thin
- Pickle slices on tooth picks for garnish, optional
- To make grilled onions: Place the sliced onions on a microwave-safe plate. Cook for about 5 minutes in the microwave until onions are soft. Coat a large nonstick pan with cooking spray. Add olive oil and heat. Add cooked onions and 1Â½ tablespoons Worcestershire sauce. SautÃ© on medium heat until onions are very soft and browned, about 6-8 minutes. If the pan gets too dry, add a little water while cooking. Stir often. Keep warm or reheat before serving. These can be made earlier in the day and reheated.
- Heat a George Forman grill or Panini maker.
- In a large bowl, add ground beef, egg white, grated onions, Worcestershire sauce, barbecue sauce, seasoning salt and pepper. Using your hands or a fork, gently mix together. Shape mixture into 12 balls and flatted into very thin patties. Form the patties as large as you can since they shrink when cooked.
- To cook on a George Forman grill or Panini maker: Heat the George Forman grill or Panini maker and coat with cooking spray. Place burgers on the grill, flatten a bit with a spatula, close lid and cook for about 2 minutes until cook through. Remove from grill to a plate and continue cooking the remaining patties. Coat with cooking spray each time.
- To cook in a pan: Coat a large nonstick pan with cooking spray. Add 4-6 patties and cook over medium-high heat, for 2 minutes. Turn over and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes until cook through. Remove patties from pan. Coat pan with cooking spray and continue cooking the remaining patties. Be sure to coat the pan with cooking spray before cooking all the patties.
- To serve: Spread each sandwich thin with 1 teaspoon ketchup and mustard. Add 1 patty and top each with a tomato slice and some grilled onions. Add the top of the sandwich thin.
- For more skinny recipes, please join me at http://skinnykitchen.com
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 186g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 57||46%|
|Total Fat 6.32g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 2.32g||9%|
|Trans Fat 0.36g|
|Total Carbs 8.82g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.9g||6%|