Pumpkin with Shrimp or Camarao na Moranga Recipe
This is a traditional Brazilian recipe and perfect for the fall!
Servings: 4-8 (depending on size of pumpkin)
Cost per serving $5.10 view details
- 1 medium pumpkin (or 4-6 mini pumpkins, for cute individual portions)
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (frozen will do)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large tomatoes (chopped) and/or 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 bell peppers (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups cream cheese
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (optional)
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley Salt and pepper
- Wash and scrub the pumpkin well. Cut the top off to make a lid; remove all the seeds. Wrap the pumpkin with aluminum foil; place in a baking pan and put it in a preheated oven to 350 degrees F. Cook until when you stick a toothpick in and it's soft. Set aside.
- Season shrimp (defrost first if needed) with salt and minced garlic. In a saucepan heat olive oil, sautÃ© onion until transparent. Add tomato and bell peppers and cook until vegetables are soft. If using tomato sauce cook for about 10 minutes. Stir in corn starch dissolved in the milk. Add shrimp and cook for about 7 minutes. Add coconut milk and parsley. Add salt and pepper as needed.
- Spread the cream cheese with a spoon into the pumpkin inside wall (1/8-1/4 inch thick), then pour the shrimp mixture inside the pumpkin.
- Put the pumpkin back in the oven wrapped in aluminum foil. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- When ready, place the whole pumpkin on a serving dish on the table. Serve by scooping the shrimp mixture out making sure to bring some chunks of "melted" pumpkin and cream cheese with it! Serve with rice.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 462g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 433||64%|
|Total Fat 49.47g||62%|
|Saturated Fat 24.28g||97%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 16.98g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.5g||8%|