Chicken Soup to Live For! Recipe
Common, nourishing, fast & easy - unbelievably fragrant, a dish anyone can make and serve. This is a soup, "to live for"! A perfect 'comfort food'.
Try this recipe just once and it will become your standard for the ultimate chicken soup recipe.
I will tell you how we make it, then you can improvise to suit your pantry, your taste, and your needs.
This is the basic recipe.
- 3-4 chicken drumsticks
- 2-3 chicken thighs (soak the chicken in salted cold water while you prepare the vegetables. When you have the vegetables ready, rinse and pat dry the chicken pieces. Season each piece liberally with fine sea salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- 1 Tbsp chicken fat (or olive oil)
- 1 yellow onion, coarsly chopped
- 3-4 carrots, peeled, split and chopped
- 2-3 stalks of celery (with leaves) chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 sweet red pepper, cored, seeded and diced
- 32 oz chicken stock or broth
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2-3 c water
- 1 c basmati (or your favorite) rice, rinsed
- Heat the fat or oil to hot in a stock pot
- Saute the fresh thyme sprigs for about 1 minute, then remove them with a wooden spoon and discard
- Lightly brown the chicken pieces in the infused fat
- Add all the vegetables and stir to coat and combine
- Add the stock or broth and turn the heat to med-high
- Add the water and bring to a boil
- Add the diced red pepper
- Reduce to simmer and cover
- Simmer until the chicken falls off the bone
- Remove the bones and return the meat to the pot
- Add the rice and simmer for 15 minutes
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 546g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 77||46%|
|Total Fat 8.58g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 2.48g||10%|
|Trans Fat 0.08g|
|Total Carbs 10.56g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.7g||12%|