Chicken and Eggplant Tagine Recipe
I was shopping for a chicken and eggplant stew and both the eggplant and the bell peppers were on sale...so I bought extra. We ended up making two different recipes that called for chicken and eggplant two nights in a row, so we were able to really compare. While we all loved the other recipe (chicken and eggplant stew..on this site), there was unanimous agreement that this recipe was even better. It's adapted from a Bon Appetit recipe. I think the paprika and marjoram add a nice fullness to the flavor. This would have been really good without the chicken too, if you'd like to keep it vegetarian.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups sliced onions
- 2 medium bell peppers, sliced (optional)
- 6 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Hungarian sweet paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, ground
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 (14.5oz) cans diced tomatoes (one drained, one with juice)
- 1 cup water
- Juice of one lemon (about 3 Tbsp)
- 4 chicken thighs and 4 chicken legs (no skin, with or without bones) chopped into 1 inch pieces if boneless
- 1 large eggplant, unpeeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram or 1 tsp dried marjoram
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Sprinkle the cubed eggplant with kosher salt to let it steep (reduces the bitterness) until you add it to the pot.
- Meanwhile, heat 4 tablespoons olive oil in heavy large wide pot over medium heat. Add the onions and bell pepper and saute for 2 minutes, then add the garlic. Cover and cook until onions are soft, about 8 minutes. Add the paprika, kosher salt, turmeric, coriander, fennel, pepper, cumin, ginger; and marjoram and stir 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, 1 cup water, and 3 tablespoons lemon juice; bring to boil.
- Add the chicken and eggplant and stir to cover. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer about 35 minutes if using bone in chicken pieces and about 25 minutes if using cubed, boneless chicken..
- Remove the cover and simmer uncovered 10 minutes to thicken the tagine. Season to taste with more lemon juice, if desired, and salt and pepper. Transfer to bowls and sprinkle with the toasted almonds and chopped cilantro.
- We served over a 50/50 blend of short grain brown rice and bulgur. To make, add 1 cup brown rice and 1 cup bulgur to a rice cooker and cover with 2 and 1/2 cups water. When done, season with 1/2 tsp kosher salt and generous pinches of turmeric and cumin if desired.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 322g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 138||59%|
|Total Fat 15.6g||20%|
|Saturated Fat 2.78g||11%|
|Trans Fat 0.07g|
|Total Carbs 18.11g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 7.3g||24%|