Barley Salad Primavera Recipe
We recently went with a "white salad" using only "white" or near white ingredients like barley, daikon, mushrooms, water chestnuts, etc.
This barley salad is even better...and once again we can learn why color matters!
Cost per serving $0.97 view details
- 1/2 cup quick cook barley
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 5 fresh asparagus spears, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. finely chopped green onions
- 1 - 2 large white mushrooms, stemmed and slivered
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- 1 -2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- In a medium saucepan, boil the water. Stir in the barley, reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook until barley is tender, about 10 - 12 minutes. Drain in colander, then rinse barley under cool water and drain well. Place barley in mixing bowl.
- Place the asparagus in boiling water for 3 to 4 minutes. Drain and immediately plunge it into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking and keep it crisp-tender. Drain well and add to barley. Add tomatoes, onions and mushrooms.
- Grate or zest 1/2 the lemon into the barley and add the diced peppers.
- For a nice light dressing, squeeze 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons of juice from the lemon into a small bowl. Mix in salt until it dissolves. Add 4-5 coarse grinds of pepper. Whisk in the oil. Pour the dressing over salad and toss with fork to combine. Serve chilled.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 137g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 47||57%|
|Total Fat 5.27g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 0.74g||3%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 8.4g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.8g||6%|