Saint Hildegard Cookies of Joy Recipe
Hildegard von Bingen was born in 1098. She was a visionary, a Benedictine abbess, a scholar and correspondent with popes, scholars, kings and queens. Her writings include books of natural science, medicine, theology, metaphysics and music. She is the composer and lyricist for the earliest recorded music by a woman. As a scientist and healer, she promoted natural medicine that integrated physical, psychological, and spiritual healing. She proposed principles for a balanced diet and explored the medicinal uses of plants, animals, and trees.
She recommended them for slowing the aging process, creating a cheerful countenance, lightening a heavy heart, and releasing intelligence. "Eat them often," she says, "and they will calm every bitterness of heart and mind - and your hearing and senses will open. Your mind will be joyous, and your senses purified, and harmful humours will diminish..."
This is an adaptation of St. Hildegard's recipe (from a circa 1157 treatise Physica: Liber Simplicis Medicine). The saint was particularly fond of recommending spelt grain, so I included a suggestion to use flour made from spelt.
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 egg (or use 1 Tbs. flax seed soaked in 3 Tbs. water)
- 2 cups flour (spelt, whole wheat, or 1/2 cup garbanzo flour + 1 1/2 cups wheat)
- 1 Tbs baking soda
- 1 tsp dulse or kelp (optional, but this adds valuable trace minerals)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 Tbsp ground fenugreek (optional)
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds or walnuts (optional)
- Cream together butter, honey, and eggs.
- In separate bowl, mix together dry ingredients.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients.
- Pour liquid ingredients in well and mix into dry ingredients.
- Chill in refrigerator to cool, to make it easier to work with (optional).
- Form into walnut sized balls.
- Place on greased and floured cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 29g|
|Recipe makes 24 servings|
|Calories from Fat 40||36%|
|Total Fat 4.56g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 2.55g||10%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 17.05g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.7g||2%|