Rum CARAMEL mousse WALNUT frozen pie Recipe
Rum caramel mousse filling is supported by a light, no-bake cereal crust. Luscious butter Rum caramel sauce cascades while crowned by roasted walnuts.
For a dedicated post…refer to:
- . > American measures <
- . > Rum Butter Caramel sauce: (made ahead of time)
- . 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- . 1 cup dark Brown sugar, loose pack
- . 3/4 cup evaporated 2% milk, room temperature
- . 1/8 tsp. sea salt
- . 2 Tbsps. dark Rum
- . > no-bake PIE CRUST:
- . 1-1/4 cups Cornflake (or cookie) crumbs
- . 2 Tbsps. unsalted butter, melted
- . 1 Tbsp. Caramel sauce
- . > CARAMEL MOUSSE FILLING:
- . 1-1/4 cups evaporated 2% milk
- . 3 xLarge eggs, separated
- . 2 Tbsps. granulated sugar
- . 1/2 cup Caramel sauce
- . 1 Tbsp. dark Rum
- . > Garnish:
- . 1/2 cup lightly roasted Walnuts
- . the remaining caramel sauce
- . > Rum Butter Caramel Sauce: (made ahead of time) In a small-medium saucepan, melt the butter on MEDIUM heat. Add in the brown sugar. Then, with a small whisk, stir constantly for about 2 minutes until all is well dissolved. Slowly add in and whisk the evaporated milk into the sugar mix. Raise the heat to MEDIUM-HIGH and bring to a boil for about 4 minutes, while whisking. Remove the pot from the heat and add in the salt and Rum. Let it cool about 30 minutes while stirring once and a while. Pour into a medium glass jar and cool before adding it into the refrigerator. When needed, take out 15 minutes beforehand.
- . NOTE: ahead of time: partially freeze the evaporated milk into a stainless steel bowl and covered for about 2 hours.
- . Prepare a lightly oiled 9 inch deep pie plate. Set aside.
- . > CRUST: In a medium bowl, toss and mix together the cereal crumbs, melted butter as well as the caramel sauce. Transfer the mix onto the lightly oiled pie plate. With the aid of a spatula or spoon, spread and pat down the mix onto the plate’s bottom and slightly up the sides. Set aside.
- . > FILLING: Remove the evaporated milk from the freezer and with an electric mixer, whip until it has doubled in volume. Set this whipped milk back into the freezer. Clean the beaters and dry them carefully. Then, separate the eggs by placing the whites into a medium bowl and the yolks in a tiny bowl. Beat the egg whites until soft peaks. Continue beating while adding in the sugar and stiffer peaks have been achieved. Afterwards, beat in the egg yolks on LOW speed. Then, beat in the caramel sauce and Rum. Take out the whipped milk and with a spatula fold it into the egg mix until there are minimal streaks showing.
- . Pour the combined mix into the prepared crust. Then, place it into the freezer without covering for about 1 hour. Afterwards, once the pie has somewhat solidified, cover it with plastic wrap. The pie can be ready in as little as 3 hours time. Suggestion: transfer the pie to the refrigerator for about 20 minutes before cutting your serving pieces.
- . Garnish with walnuts coated in the remaining caramel sauce in addition to more caramel drizzled over the whole pie or each individual piece.
- . Flavourful wishes from Claudia's kitchen...Foodessa.com