Korean potato side dish Recipe
I always love these sweet and salty braised potatoes when they are served along with kimchi and various other side dishes at korean restaurants. I've always wanted to make them, and grilling Galbi gave me the perfect opportunity. I started with a recipe from maangchi.com and substituted a mix of sugar and mirin for the corn syrup that was called for. It came out just like they do at the restaurants. Wonderful!
- 4 medium potatoes (I used russet)
- 1 med large onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp soy sauce,
- 1 tbsp sugar,
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1/2 half cup of water
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- toasted sesame seeds (all white or half black/half white)
- Peel the potatoes, wash and cut them into Â¾ inch cubes. Put the potato into a colander under running water to remove the starch.
- Chop the onion roughly into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Add 2 tbs olive oil to a large saute pan over medium heat and put the potato into the pan. Brown for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, then add the onion and continue to cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and sautÃ© it until the potato is browning and the onion looks translucent.
- Add the soy, water, sugar, and mirin to the pan. Mix and simmer over medium heat for about 10 minutes until the liquid is evaporated.
- Keep stirring so it doesnât burn. Add more water if needed (I didn't)
- When done, turn off the stove and drizzle 1 tbs of sesame oil and sprinkle a teaspoon of sesame seeds over top and serve with rice.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 148g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 83||44%|
|Total Fat 9.31g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 1.4g||6%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 23.89g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.7g||9%|