Roasted Potatoes, Carrots, and Onions Recipe
This is a great side dish for roast beef, pork, or lamb. It would also be great with any grilled meat. The recipe is adapted from an America's Test Kitchen recipe that included brussels sprouts and excluded the onions. I love the flavor that the caramelized onions add to the potatoes and to the gravy if you make it, so I think they are a must. Adding the brussels sprouts might be nice too if you aren't already serving another green vegetable as a side.
- 2 pounds red potatoes cut into quarters or sixths to make roughly 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 pound carrots peeled, split lengthwise, and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 cup water
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat an oven to 350 F.
- Combine the potatoes, carrots, and water in a large bowl. Cover and microwave on hi for about 10 minutes. Remove and let cool. Dump out water and season the potatoes and carrots liberally with kosher salt and pepper.
- Place the potatoes, carrots and onions in a roasting dish lightly sprayed or rubbed with olive oil. If you are roasting meat, place the onions and as many carrots and potatoes as you can fit loosely around the roast. Do not crowd the meat so much that air cannot circulate around the roast. Place any remaining vegetables in a separate lightly oiled roasting dish next to the roast.
- Roast the vegetables for a minimum of 45 minutes (and up to 2 hours if cooking with a large roast). Remove and serve.
- The key trick I took from this recipe was microwaving the carrots and potatoes before roasting them. I found that the outside of the potatoes was less tough, and the inside more tender, than when I have roasted potatoes in the past without microwaving them. Give this technique a try and I think you will be very happy with the result!
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 205g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 17||14%|
|Total Fat 1.99g||2%|
|Saturated Fat 0.3g||1%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 25.18g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.8g||13%|