Homemade Hearty Garlic Meat Sauce (Lasagna Meat Sauce) Recipe
Cost per serving $1.10 view details
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 small red onions, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 carrot, finely grated
- 1 lb ground meat (½ beef, ½ pork)
- 2 (28 oz) cans pureed tomato sauce (pomodoro passato)
- 4 basil leaves
- 3 sage leaves (optional)
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- salt to taste (each layer is seasoned with salt)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
- ¼ - ½ cup of milk (this helps to neutralize the acidity level from the tomatoes)
- 1. Heat olive oil and butter over medium-low heat, in a large saucepan. Add onion. Season with a small pinch of salt and cook for 5 minutes until the onion is translucent.
- 2. Add grated carrot and minced garlic. Cook for 2 minutes.
- 3. Add ground meat and cook till browned, about 6 minutes. You can either drain the fat at this point, or cook it a few more minutes till most of it has evaporated. (This adds more flavour). Season meat with a bit of salt and pepper. You can also add additional seasonings to the meat if you like, such as garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and/or paprika.
- 4. Add tomato sauce, basil, sage, bay leaf, and season the sauce with salt to taste. Cover saucepan and bring to a boil. Uncover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 20 minutes, occassionally stirring.
- 5. Stir in tomato paste and let it simmer for another 10 minutes.
- 6. Turn off heat. Add 1-2 minced garlic cloves and milk. Cover with lid and let stand 10 minutes before using in the lasagna.
- A FEW NOTES: This sauce can also be served over pasta, gnocchi ravioli, tortellini, or used in a parmesan dish. This sauce freezes well.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 274g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 36||34%|
|Total Fat 4.11g||5%|
|Saturated Fat 1.51g||6%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 16.26g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.9g||13%|