French onion soup. Recipe
Cost per serving $1.60 view details
- 3 T butter or olive oil
- 4 large white onions, thinly-sliced
- 1 t salt
- Â½ t dry mustard
- dash of thyme
- 5 cups vegetable stock and/or water
- 2 T soy sauce
- 2 T dry white wine (optional)
- white pepper
- croutons or stale French bread
- cheese: GruyÃ¨re or Swiss, grated or sliced (optional)
- Melt the butter in the wok, saucepan, or kettle at medium heat. Add onions and salt, cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add mustard and thyme, stir well, cover.
- Simmer over very low heat for 35 minutes.
- Add stock or water, soy sauce, optional wine, and pepper. Simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with croutons and cheese. If your bowls are oven-proof, you can then place the dishes under the broiler for a minute or two to melt and brown the cheese.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 446g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 47||37%|
|Total Fat 5.36g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 3.36g||13%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 16.8g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.4g||8%|