Chilapachole is a spicy crab soup enjoyed along the Gulf of Mexico. It takes only 40 minutes from start to finish.The crabmeat in a spicy tomato broth makes for a good starter or a side to a spicy Mexican meal. The secret to this delicious soup is the pan roasted vegetables which adds a deep flavor to the soup. It is also a low calories, low fat, low cholesterol, low sodium, low sugars, low carbohydrates, heart-healthy, vegetarian, diabetic and Weight Watchers (3) PointsPlus recipe.
- 1 small onion, peeled, quartered
- 1 tomato, quartered
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded, quartered
- 4 serrano chili peppers, cut in half lengthwise, seeded
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 (14 1/2 oz) can vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 (8 oz) container refrigerated lump crabmeat, drained
- 6 Limes
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- Place the onion, tomato, red bell pepper and chili peppers into a large bowl. Add the oil and toss to coat.
- Heat a 10" nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the vegetables and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes or until the vegetables are well browned, stirring occasionally. Remove and reserve the chili peppers from the skillet.
- Remove the remaining vegetables to a blender. Add the broth and parsley. Cover and blend for 2 minutes or until the mixture is smooth. Pour the vegetable mixture into a 2-quart saucepan and cook over medium heat until the mixture is hot and bubbling. Stir in the crabmeat and cook for 2 minutes or until the mixture is hot. Season with kosher salt and ground black pepper.
- Mince the reserved chili peppers. Sprinkle the soup with the chili peppers and serve with the lime wedges.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 205g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 46||42%|
|Total Fat 5.2g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 0.46g||2%|
|Trans Fat 0.12g|
|Total Carbs 9.39g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.3g||8%|