perfecting the CHOUX pastry PUFF shell Recipe
BAKING from the perspective of SCIENCE to get the POOF in the ideal PUFF. Follow all the steps without deviating and you'll soon be rewarded with magical clouds of pastry.
For a dedicated post...refer to:
- . > American / Metric measures <
- . 4 xLarge eggs
- . 1 cup (250ml) water
- . 1/2 cup [1 stick] (125g) unsalted butter
- . 1 Tbsp. (15ml) granulated sugar
- . 1/4 tsp. (1.25ml) sea salt
- . 1 cup (150g) All-purpose flour, sifted
- . Position the rack in the center of the oven. In order to jump start the process of creating steam, pre-heat the oven at:425F/220C/Gas7...will later be lowered to 350F/180C/Gas5. Prepare 1 large parchment paper lined baking pans. Note: Do not use a Silicone mat for this pastry.
- . Crack eggs and place them individually into 4 small bowls. Set aside.
- . BATTER-dough (Choux paste): In a medium-small saucepan, combine the water, butter, salt and sugar. On MEDIUM-HIGH heat, bring these ingredients to a rapid boil and then immediately remove saucepan away from the heat source. Note: It is very important that this initial step is done quickly, since the water evaporation has to be limited. This water content is needed for the magic to happen in the oven. Immediately add all the flour at once. With a strong spatula, vigorously combine into a smooth ball which has pulled away from the sides of the pot. Then, either manually or an electric beater, very gradually incorporate one egg at the time. Once combined, the dough will have a soft consistency as well as show a glossy appearance. The batter should be just stiff enough to hold its shape when transferred onto the baking sheet.
- . Prepare to either use a spoon or appropriate size scoop to place the dough onto the baking pan. Note: a pastry bag can also be used. Leave them at least 2 inches (5 cm) apart. Also, lightly flatten any protruding pointed edges with a slightly wet finger
- . Baking for 12 LARGE puff shells: 1st temperature will be for 20 minutes. 2nd temp. will be for 25 minutes.
- . BAKE for the time required. When the puffs are ready, they will have a golden appearance. Then, once out of the oven, They will sound hollow when lightly tapped. Poke each one on the side with a toothpick so that the remaining moisture can evaporate. Transfer them to a rack to completely cool.
- . Puffs can be left out on a cooling rack and at room temperature for about 24 hours. They can also be made a few weeks ahead of time gently placed into an airtight freezer bag.
- . Before filling the puffs, crisp them back up in a pre-heated 300F/150C/Gas2 oven for about 5-7 minutes/ 10-12 minutes if they were directly out of the freezer. Cool on rack and slice in the center to fill with cream.
- . Happy baking from Claudia's kitchen...FOODESSA.com