Passover Sponge Cake With Apples Recipe
Cost per serving $0.28 view details
- Â Â This traditional sponge cake is rippled with cinnamon-sprinkled apples.
- 1/2 c. matzo cake meal
- 1/4 c. potato starch
- 6 lrg Large eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 3/4 c. plus 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp finely grated fresh lemon zest
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1Â 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 x Golden brown Delicious apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- Â Â Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Â Â Make batter: Sift cake meal with potato starch.
- Beat together yolks and 1/2 c. sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed till pale and very thick.
- Stir in zest and juice.
- Beat whites with salt in another bowl with cleaned beaters on high speed till soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 1/4 c. sugar and beat till whites just hold stiff, glossy peaks.
- Fold cake-meal mix into yolk mix, then mix in whites in 3 batches.
- Assemble cake: Stir together remaining Tbsp. sugar and cinnamon.
- Spoon one third of batter into an ungreased 9 inch springform pan.
- Top with half of apple slices and sprinkle with half of cinnamon sugar.
- Repeat with half of remaining batter and remaining apples and cinnamon sugar.
- Gently spread remaining batter over apples, smoothing top.
- Bake cake in middle of oven till top is golden brown and hard and a tester comes out clean, about 1 hour. Cold in pan on a rack 10 min, then loosen edge with a knife and remove side of pan. Cold completely. Cooks' note: o Cake may be made 2 days ahead and chilled, covered.
- Serves 8 to 10.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 64g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 33||22%|
|Total Fat 3.7g||5%|
|Saturated Fat 1.15g||5%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 25.76g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.6g||2%|