Masoor Dal –Red Lentil Stew Recipe
Dal in general is a true soul food for any Indian at heart. I relish any kind of dal with simple steamed rice. Arhar or Tool and Moong dals top the chart but I am in mood for something different today. Hummm….. I searched my pantry high and low and I found a jar of Masoor Dal/Red Lentil . Now Masoor Dal is not frequently made in my kitchen, but whenever I do, is it enjoyed by all. This delicious, simple, and healthy recipe is an easy way to spruce up your everyday menu.
- 2/3 Cup Masoor Dal (Red Lentil or Kali Dal)
- 1 Medium Tomato Chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic Finely Chopped/minced
- 1 Tsp Minced Ginger
- 1 Green Chili
- 2 Red Whole Chilies
- Â½ Tsp Turmeric
- Â½ Tsp Red Chili Powder
- Â¼ Tsp Garam Masala
- Â½ Tsp Coriander Powder
- Â½ Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 Â½ Tbsp Oil or Ghee
- Salt to taste
- Pinch of Asafetida
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Cook Dal in a pressure cooker or by boiling.
- Using a hand blender, pulse crush it to thicken and homogenize a little.
- In a sauce pan, heat oil until hot. You can test it by adding a few Mustard Seed and if they pop , oil is ready.
- Add Mustard Seeds, Asafetida, and Whole Red Chilies. Cook it for a few seconds.
- Add Tomato, Ginger, Garlic, and Green Chili. Mix and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add Turmeric, Red Chili Powder, Garam Masala, Coriander Powder, and Salt. Cook until oil separates.
- Add Dal, Mix and let it simmer for about 10 minutes. Add water if needed.
- Again, Add water if dal has become thick. I like medium consistency dal, so amount of H2O you add is up to you.
- Garnish with Coriander leaves and serve hot with rice.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 81g|
|Recipe makes 3 servings|
|Calories from Fat 64||71%|
|Total Fat 7.3g||9%|
|Saturated Fat 0.57g||2%|
|Trans Fat 0.18g|
|Total Carbs 6.17g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.5g||5%|