Gluten Free Masoor Dal Cutlet Recipe
Gluten Free Masoor Dal Cutlet Recipe is a satiating party appetizer or teatime snack with crisp exterior and soft kebab like texture underneath. The term cutlet defines a flat croquette of minced meat, nuts, or pulses, typically covered in breadcrumbs and shaped like a veal chop. There are no second thoughts about cutlet being not deep-fried.
- 1 Cup masoor dal
- 2 medium size onion fine chopped
- half a bunch of coriander fine chopped
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 green chili fine chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp asafetida
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp amchur (mango powder)
- 2 tbsp cooking oil + 1/3 Cup oil
- Salt to taste
- To prepare the Masoor Dal Cutlet, soak the dal for 15 - 20 minutes in enough water.
- Meanwhile fine chop the onion, coriander and green chili. Keep aside.
- Drain the soaked dal in a colander, make fine paste of masoor dal in mixer using less than 1/4 cup of water.
- Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a heavy bottom pan. Add cumin seeds and asafetida. Roast for few seconds till seeds change color.
- Next add half of the chopped onion and fry till onion turn golden brown in color.
- Add the masoor dal paste in the pan, roast over low heat stirring continuously till it turns light brown in color. Dal is ready when it eaves sides of the pan and all the moisture is evaporated.
- Transfer to a bowl. Let the dal mixture cool down little bit so that it becomes easy to handle.
- Add remaining chopped onion, garlic paste, green chili, coriander, spices and salt in the roasted dal. Stir to combine.
- Grease a baking tray ( buy it here ) or large plate with little oil.
- Evenly spread the dal mixture in the tray with 1/4 inch thickness.
- Let the mixture set in the tray at room temperature or keep in the fridge.
- Once mixture is nicely set, cut into equal shape squares.
- At this stage, these cutlets can be stored in the fridge.
- Before serving, heat 1/3 Cup oil in a frying pan ( buy it here ). Once oil is heated, shallow fry the cutlets till golden brown on each side.
- Transfer fried cutlets to a plate lined with oil absorbing paper.
- Serve Masoor Dal Cutlet warm with chutney.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 20g|
|Recipe makes 15 servings|
|Calories from Fat 18||69%|
|Total Fat 2.03g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 0.22g||1%|
|Trans Fat 0.05g|
|Total Carbs 1.91g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.4g||1%|