Loaded Baked Potato Soup Recipe
This hearty soup has plenty of recipes to be found, I know. I used my friend, Mr. Pressure Cooker, to steam my Russet potatoes in 5 minutes. In the meantime, I cooked bacon, grated sharp cheddar cheese, and thinly sliced green onions-- which is exactly how we like to (occasionally) indulge in baked potatoes. I tweaked my recipe with a couple of extra's that gave that perfect flavor I was hoping for. My husband marveled how this soup tasted exactly like a baked potato. It's thick, and hearty, and perfect on a chilly Fall night.
- 6 slices bacon
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk, or more, as needed
- 1 cup chicken broth (no salt added preferred)
- 5 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 small clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Evenly lay the bacon on a 2-3 ply paper toweled lined plate, cover with a paper towel and microwave until cooked and crispy-- about 6 minutes. (You can also do this in a skillet, and remove and blot on paper towels. Coarsely cut most of the bacon, finely chopping 2-3 tablespoons, as a garnish. Set aside.
- If using a pressure cooker, place the prepared potatoes in a steamer basket, on top of a trivet, with 2 cups of water. Pressure cook on high for 5 minutes, do a quick release and remove the lid.
- Melt butter in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the garlic and stir for about 30 seconds; add the green onion.
- Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in the milk, and chicken broth and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 1-2 minutes.
- If not using a pressure cooker for the potatoes, add them in at this time and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Otherwise, add the steamed potatoes, stir in cheese, sour cream, salt and pepper, to taste.
- If the soup is too thick, add more milk as needed until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve immediately, garnished with green onion, cheese and bacon, if desired.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 397g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 316||58%|
|Total Fat 35.59g||44%|
|Saturated Fat 18.19g||73%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 42.08g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.0g||10%|