Brussels Sprouts With Pancetta and Toasted Bread Crumbs Recipe
Fresh brussels sprounts, braised just to the point of tenderness is always on our Thanksgiving table. It's as important as cranberry sauce and my family would be very disappointed without it.
Servings: 6 to 8
Cost per serving $2.29 view details
- 1-1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons thyme leaves
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 pounds baby brussels sprouts, washed and trimmed (cut larger ones in two)
- Salt and pepper
- 6 ounces pancetta in small dice (1-1/2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons minced shallots or white of scallions
- 1 tablespoon grated garlic
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup veal stock or rich chicken broth, more if needed
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, mix bread crumbs and thyme with 1/4 cup olive oil, and spread on a cookie sheet. Toast, tossing frequently, until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Heat butter and remaining olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until foamy. Add brussels sprouts, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and sautÃ©, tossing frequently, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add diced pancetta, and sautÃ©, tossing frequently, until sprouts are well browned and softened slightly, and pancetta is crisp, about 10 minutes more. Reduce heat, add shallots and garlic, and sautÃ© until fragrant, 2 minutes.
- Increase heat to high, add balsamic vinegar and stock, and cook, tossing frequently, until sprouts are glazed and tender, about 10 minutes; add more stock if needed. Taste, adjusting seasoning if necessary, and sprinkle with chopped parsley. Transfer to a warm serving bowl and scatter bread crumbs on top.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 262g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 221||52%|
|Total Fat 25.08g||31%|
|Saturated Fat 7.8g||31%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 37.16g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 6.6g||22%|