Braised Chicken Sausage with Red Bell and Peppadew Peppers Recipe
I tried to make this version of sausage and peppers a little healthy by using chicken sausage (Whole Foods spicy Italian chicken sausage is my go-to). As I was walking through the grocery store, I was trying to think of something to make this dish a little more special and flavorful. That’s how the peppadew peppers ended up in my basket. Peppadews are a sweet, slightly spicy pickled pepper. I find them a little strong on their own, but I thought they’d give my tomato sauce a wonderful tang and a little extra sweetness.
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 small red bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 6 spicy peppadew peppers, minced
- 1 1/2 lbs. Italian chicken sausage
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 21 oz. crushed tomatoes with basil (or about 3/4 of a can)
- Fresh basil leaves
- Pasta, for serving
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a dutch oven or high-sided skillet. Add the onions and peppers, seasoning with a pinch of salt. Cook until starting to soften, about 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and peppadew peppers. Cook until the garlic starts to soften, about 2 minutes.
- Raise the heat to medium-high. Make some room in the middle of the pot and add the sausages, making sure they are sitting directly on the bottom of the pot. Cook for a couple of minutes on each side, or until browned.
- Add the chicken stock. When the stock is reduced, add the tomatoes. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat. Simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes, flipping the sausages halfway through, until the chicken sausage is cooked through. Test for seasoning and add salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve atop pasta (or anything, really) and garnish with basil leaves.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 443g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 228||54%|
|Total Fat 25.54g||32%|
|Saturated Fat 7.9g||32%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 21.44g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.2g||17%|