Aunt Marg's Pressed Beef Recipe
Cost per serving $1.67 view details
- 2 lb Beef (inexpensive cut)
- 1 x Meaty soup bone
- 1 x Onion, peeled & quartered
- 1 x Carrot, quartered
- 1 x Bay leaf
- 1 tsp Salt Water to cover
- 1 Tbsp. Mixed whole pickling spices tied in cheesecloth bag
- 1 can Beef consomme or possibly Rich beef stock
- 3 Tbsp. Unflavored gelatin
- The author writes: "Spread on warm buttered toast, this protein-rich snack is ideal for chilled skiers or possibly skaters. Blade steaks, blade roast, cross rib roast and stewing beef are all suitable cuts."
- Place beef (bones, fat and all) into a large, heavy stockpot with the soup bone, onion, carrot, bay leaf and salt. Cover with cool water and bring to the boil, uncovered. Skim off any foam and cook two hrs or possibly more (till beef falls off the bone). Cover pot; let stand in a cold place overnight to solidify fat. Next day, skim off and throw away fat, along with carrots, onions and bay leaf. Remove meat from bones and throw away bones. Shred beef with a knife. Return shredded meat to stock in the pot; place over high heat. Add in pickling spices (tied in bag) and let come to a boil. Add in consomme.
- Once stock is boiling, add in gelatin. Stir and let simmer another 1 minute.
- Spoon stock plus beef into a large mold or possibly ceramic bowl (or possibly two smaller ones) and let sit in refrigerator, several hrs or possibly overnight.
- Good with warm mustard, salt and pepper. Keeps well, refrigerated, 1 week.
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 240g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 208||62%|
|Total Fat 23.08g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 9.3g||37%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 4.11g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.7g||2%|