Upma is had for breakfast in India. There are various upmas and ways to prepare upma. It can be made from vermicilli, cracked wheat and rava and can be the dry kind, wet kind or if it does not turn out good the soggy one :).
This one is a Rava upma, the wet kind which works the best for me. If you want it a bit dry you can add less water.
You can also add different kinds of vegetables like carrot, peas and beans and make it a healthy breakfast.
It is also had with Red Coconut Chutney or the Green coconut Chutney on the side. The recipe of these can be found on this site.
- 1 cup upma rava,
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon uard daal
- 3/4 teaspoon channa daal
- 1-2 dry red chillies
- 1 small onion finely cut
- 1 small potato finely cut
- 1 inch piece ginger finely cut
- 6-7 curry leaves
- 2 green chillies finely cut
- Coriander for garnish.
- Leamon juice for garnish
- Salt accordning to taste
- 2 cups water
- 2 or 3 tbsp of Oil
- OPTIONAL - You can also add grated coconut, fried cashewnuts and some fried rasins for garnish.
- Take a thick bottomed pan put it on high heat after it gets hot put it on medium heat and add the rava to roast till a nice roasty smells comes from it. This takes about 10 minutes. Keep stirring the rava or else it burns. Take the pan off heat and put the rava in a plate. In another pan boil the water and have it ready.
- Add 2 or 3 tbsp of oil in the first pan. After the oil heats up add mustard seeds, after they have sputtlered add dried red chillies. ( you can add them whole or break the chillies into two )Put the pan on medium heat.
- Add the uard daal and the channa daal. Fry till light brown.
- Add the ginger, green chillies and potatoes and fry them for a while till the potatoes are soft.
- Add onions, fry till soft.
- Add curry leaves.
- Add the rava and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add some salt according to taste.
- Now add the boiling water to the rava and mix.
- Put it on low heat immediately and cover it and let it cook for a while.
- Garnish with coriander and serve with slice of lemon on the side.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 765g|
|Calories from Fat 307||67%|
|Total Fat 34.78g||43%|
|Saturated Fat 2.63g||11%|
|Trans Fat 0.88g|
|Total Carbs 34.95g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.1g||17%|