SWAHILI KUKU Recipe
Kenyans love chicken. After living in Kenya for a while I have fallen in love for this particular dish because of the very basic ingredients being used in this dish and yet tastes very good.This is my husband's favorite dish too. This chicken is well served with chapati, rice or Ugali(maize meal) in Kenya. It is very easy to prepare but involves very slow cooking.
- Chicken- 1 kilo
- Onion- 250 gms(finely chopped)
- Tomatoes- 250 gms(finely chopped)
- Ginger-Garlic paste- 2 tbspn
- Turmeric powder- 1 tbspn
- Garam masala (or) Pilau masala- 1 tbspn
- Chilly powder- 1 tbspn (if you prefer)
- Oil- 100 ml
- Home made cream/ cooking cream- 2 tbspn (to thicken the gravy)
- Salt to taste
- Dhania/ cilantro/ coriander leaves to garnish
- 1. Heat the frying pan and pour the oil.
- 2. When the oil is hot add ginger- garlic paste and keep stirring for a while.
- 3. Now add the chopped onions and allow it to be brown.
- 4. Add the tomatoes, salt and reduce the fire and close it with a lid for the tomatoes to soften.
- 5. At this stage, add the chicken and the spices and stir it well for the spices to blend well with the chicken.
- 6. Do not add water and allow the chicken to get cooked very slowly in low fire with the lid closed on the pan.( Water from the tomatoes and the chicken is well enough for the chicken to get cooked )
- 7. After 15 minutes add the cream, remove the lid and allow the chicken to leave all the oil.
- 8. Garnish with dhania leaves.
- 9. Serve with chapati or rice.