Poppyseed Cookies Recipe
These are light, crispy sugar cookies made with oil instead of butter or margarine. The addition of oatmeal lends extra body and flavor to these delicious poppyseed or 'Mun' cookies. If desired, you can leave out the poppyseeds, substitute sesame seeds or simply bake as plain sugar cookies.
- 1 cup oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/4 rolled oats (I like the oats for baking or quick oats, not instant)
- 1/2 cup poppyseeds
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups all purpose flour
- Extra sugar, oil, for dusting tops of cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat oil with sugar until blended. Add eggs one at a time, beating until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients and whisk together lightly.
- Add dry ingredients, a bit at a time, to the egg mixture and mix by hand. Blend until a stiff dough is formed.
- Divide dough into 3 pieces. You can freeze some of it for later use, if desired.
- Using a floured rolling pin, roll out dough onto a floured board to 1/4 â thickness and cut into circles or other desired shapes. If you want a sugar coating, brush surface of cookies with a bit of oil and follow by dipping into sugar.
- Bake cookies on cookie sheet in centre of oven for 10-13 minutes. Cookies should be golden brown and firm. Once cooled, store in a sealed container.
- You can easily obtain a yield of 5 dozen cookies if they are rolled very thin.