Pan Grilled Tofu with Miso Glaze Recipe
This is an outstanding and pretty appetizer to serve before any asian meal. Our kids, who are somewhat indifferent to tofu, gobbled these up. They are slightly sweet and salty, with enough additional flavor to be interesting. I made these along with a tried and true teriyaki chicken recipe, which I grilled to perfection, and I think we all preferred the tofu. That's high praise in my family!
- 2 packages firm or extra firm Tofu (12-14oz each)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp oil
- Miso Glaze
- 3 Tbsp shiro miso (you can use aka miso if you have it on hand)
- 1 Tbsp mirin
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp dashi stock
- 1 egg yolk
- In a non stick sauce or small saute pan, add the miso, mirin (sweet japanese rice wine), sugar, and dashi stock. (You can purchase dashi granules at an asian supermarket or you can make with bonito (fish) flakes). Cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula until the sugar dissolves. Add the egg yolk and mix well until the glaze is glossy. Set aside.
- Remove both pieces of tofu from the packages. Cut each down the middle as if you were making a sandwich with it. Then cut again into 4 equal sections along the long side of the rectangle. You should end up with eight equal size pieces from each package the same shape as is shown in the picture above. Drain on paper towels and also pat with towels on top to remove as much water as possible.
- Heat half of the oil in a 12 inch, nonstick pan over medium. Add half the tofu and saute on both sides until lightly browned (about 2 minutes per side). Remove to paper towels. Add the remaning oil and then repeat with the remaining tofu.
- Spear each piece of tofu with a wooden skewer (double pronged would be ideal, but I used regular skewers) and put on a serving plate. Using a table or butter knife, carefully spread the miso glaze on top of the tofu. Serve while still warm if possible. YUM!
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 5g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 23||74%|
|Total Fat 2.55g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 0.19g||1%|
|Trans Fat 0.07g|
|Total Carbs 1.67g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.0g||0%|