Our Favorite Mac & Cheese Recipe
It’s been rainy and cold here. Comfort food was a must. Ken wanted macaroni and cheese, but it had to be extra cheesy with a crunchy topping. Patti said no problem and added bacon and broccoli to make it tastier and a bit healthy. Our Green Mountain Grill/Smoker added extra flavor along with their Green Mountain “Sizzle Seasoning Blend”. Perfect!
Patti and I have set one night a week just for us. It’s our date night. We usually put something special on our Green Mountain Wood Pellet Grill/Smoker but sometimes we cook inside. We always eat outside on our patio where it is very comfortable with a rainforest theme. Wood Pellet Patio Heater, little lights, candles, lanterns and surround sound. We enjoy a little wine, or strawberry margaritas using frozen strawberries for ice, good food, music and sometimes a dance or two…
- 1lb. cut pasta, we used rigatoni
- 1/2 lb. bacon, chopped
- 8 small yellow sweet peppers, chopped
- ¾ lb. fresh broccoli crowns, chopped
- 1 14oz. can diced tomatoes with chipotle chilies, drained
- 12oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 12oz. pizza blend cheese, shredded
- 2 cups low fat milk
- 2 teaspoons Green Mountain Grills Sizzle Seasoning Blend
- Ingredients: Topping
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 cups cheese crackers, crushed (we used Cheez-It Italian Four Cheese)
- In a greased large cast iron Dutch oven sauté bacon with peppers and broccoli until veggies are semi-soft and bacon is cooked. Blend in remaining ingredients and cook on low until cheese is melted. In small bowl mix the topping ingredients and sprinkle on top of macaroni and cheese. You are ready for the grill, 30 minutes at 350 degrees (174c).
- Ooey Gooey Mac & Cheese pellet grill BBQ smoker recipeTo prepare the grill for cooking, check your pellet supply – top off or change flavors as needed. Scrape grill grates off. Set the temperature to 450 degrees and press the “Start” button. Give the grill about 15 minutes to reach temperature and the grates to burn clean.
- Note: You can set the start temperature anywhere you want. I do 450 (230c) for a quick cleaning burn.
- I like to smoke everything for at least 30 minutes with an hour being even better. After all the Green Mountain wood pellet grill is a awesome smoker so use it for all the wood smoke flavor it will add to your food.
- So after the grill comes up to temp and burns clean turn it back down to low. This will be around 150 degrees (66c). Place everything directly onto the grill and just let it hang out in the smoke and get happy for 30 minutes or so. This is referred to as “Smoking” or “Hot Smoking”, the temperature is 180 degrees (84c). 30 minutes of smoking is not enough to have any cooking effect on your meat but it is enough to open the pores so that the meat can pick up all the flavor of the smoke.
- After 30 minutes, turn the (Temperature Control) up to 350 degrees (174c) for 30 minutes. When hot and bubbly it’s time to eat.
- For oven directions check out our website: