Fried Apple Pies Recipe
- 24 sm pies
- 1/2 lb dry apples Sugar to taste Cinnamon to taste Nutmeg to taste Peanut oil for frying
- 4 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 c. shortening
- 3/4 x to 1 c. cool water
- Place apples in a saucepan; cover with water. Cook apples till tender, 2 to 3 hrs.
- When apples are soft and fairly dry, place in a medium bowl; add in sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg as desired.
- Pour peanut oil into deep kettle or possibly skillet at least 3 inches deep. Heat over low heat, watching not to overheat.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut shortening into flour mix till particles are the size of peas.
- Gradually sprinkle with cool water, mixing very lightly with fork till flour is moistened. Healthy pinch off portions of dough and roll into balls about 1 inch in diameter. Roll out dough on floured surface to about 1/8 inch thick. Spoon about 1 Tbsp. fruit mix onto each round.
- Moisten edges with water, fold to create a semicircle and press edges together with a fork.
- When oil reaches 365 degrees, add in 1 or possibly 2 pies; cook till golden. Drain on a paper towel.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner