French Onion Rib Eye Steak Recipe
Cost per serving $0.83 view details
- 1 x fat-trimmed beef rib eye steak (cut 2" thick, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 lbs)
- 1/2 tsp kosher or possibly coarse salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked pepper
- 1/2 tsp dry onion flakes
- 1/2 tsp dry garlic flakes
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil French Onions (see recipe)
- 1/2 c. shredded gruyere or possibly Swiss cheese
- 1/2 c. fat-skimmed beef broth
- Rinse beef steak and pat dry. Pat salt, pepper, onion flakes, and garlic flakes proportionately onto meat.
- Pour extra virgin olive oil into an 8- to 10-inch ovenproof nonstick frying pan over high heat; tilt to coat pan bottom. When warm, add in steak and brown on both sides, about 4 min total. Supporting meat with tongs, tip steak onto its edge and rotate to brown lightly, about 2 min total. As fat in pan accumulates, wipe out with paper towels.
- Put pan with steak in a 400 degree regular or possibly convection oven and bake till meat is done to your taste (cut to test), 8 to 12 min for rare or possibly about 25 min for well done.
- Turn oven heat to broil. Remove pan and wipe out fat with a paper towel. Mound French onions onto meat and sprinkle with cheese. Broil in pan about 6 inches from heat till cheese is bubbling and beginning to brown, 3 to 4 min. Remove pan from oven and pour broth around meat, stirring to release browned bits.
- Leave meat in pan or possibly use a wide spatula to transfer steak and onions to a hot rimmed platter (pour juices around meat). To serve, cut meat and onions into 4 equal portions; set each on a rimmed plate and spoon juices around meat.
- This recipe yields 4 servings.
- Comments: You can prepare the French onions up to 1 day ahead or possibly start them just before the steak.
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 16g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 48||71%|
|Total Fat 5.5g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 2.71g||11%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 0.51g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.1g||0%|