Eggplant Lasagna Recipe
The first time I made this dish, I was told "You can make this dish for me anytime!"
This dish is even better warmed up the next day!
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 cups flour
- 3 cups Italian flavored bread crumbs
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups olive oil
- 1 lb ricotta cheese
- 5 cups flavored tomato sauce
- Peel and slice eggplant 1/4 - inch thick in size. Beat 3 eggs and 1/2 cup milk in deep bowl. Flour eggplant, dip into egg-milk mixture then into bread crumbs. Allow to dry in refrigerator for 1/2 hour. While eggplant is hardening, mix ricotta cheese, 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, and 2 slightly beaten eggs together.
- Heat 2 cups olive oil in frying pan. Cook eggplant slices until golden brown, about 3 minutes each side and drain on paper towel. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In 2-quart casserole add 2 cups flavored tomatoe sauce; layer eggplant then all of cheese mixture, eggplant, remaining 3 cups sauce. Top with remaining 4 ounces of mozzarella cheese. Bake at 350 degrees on center rack about 40 minutes. Allow to cool 15 minutes before serving