Curry Lentil Soup Recipe
This is a surprisingly light and tangy lentil soup. If you are used to thick and heavy lentil soups, this one will surprise you. It's very tasty and was a great complement to the pizza recipe I just put up. This is also adapted from a Greens restaurant recipe.
- 1.5 cups lentils rinsed (I used half brown lentils, half yellow lentils)
- 12 cups cold water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1.5 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions diced
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp yellow mustard seeds (I substituted 1 tsp yellow mustard powder)
- 1 Tbsp cumin seeds (I through in an extra tsp, but I LOVE cumin)
- 2 tsp coriander seeds (I substituted 1 tsp ground coriander)
- 2 large celery ribs diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 medium zucchini diced (I substituted 1 green bell pepper and 1 red bell pepper, diced)
- 2 14.5oz cans chopped tomatoes, including juice
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- 2-3 Tbsp fresh chopped Cilantro
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- Put lentils in a large sauce pan with water and bay leaf, bring to boil, lower heat and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
- While lentils cook, heat oil in a large soup pot, add onions, and 1/2 tsp salt. Saute over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add ginger and garlic cook 1 minute. Stir in spices and cook for 2-3 minutes, adding water if needed. Add the vegetables, another tsp of salt, and cook for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and simmer until lentils are ready, about 10 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and add lentils and their broth to the soup pot. Add salt to taste (about 1 tsp) and 2 pinches of Cayenne pepper and simmer for about 20 minutes uncovered. Check and adjust with more salt and Cayenne if needed.
- Serve in bowls with a sprinkle of fresh Cilantro and lemon wedge on the side.
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 358g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 20||16%|
|Total Fat 2.3g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 0.32g||1%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 20.59g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 8.9g||30%|