Crispy Vegetable Samosa!!! Recipe
Samosa is a stuffed pastry and is extremely popular as a snack in India and also mostly all over Asia and the Middle East.
The stuffing can be savoury with Potatoes/veggies/Minced Chicken/Beef, but it could also be sweet, ever heard of Chocolate Samosas!! Sounds heavenly isnt it ;-)
Today I made savoury potato-veggie stuffed, fried samosas for our good friends who were leaving the city and so it was kinda like a farewell snack :-)
Hope you love them!
- For the pastry:
- All-purpose flour - 1cup
- Cumin seeds - 1/2tsp
- Ajwain seeds (Carom seeds) - 1/2tsp
- Oil - 1tsp ( Canola or vegetable oil preferred)
- Salt - to taste
- Warm Water - 1cup ( or enough to make a smooth dough)
- For the filling:
- Potatoes - 2 medium Russet
- Onion - 1medium or 1/2 large (Chopped finely)
- Green chillies - 2 (Chopped)
- Carrot - 1 large (grated)
- Green peas - 1/4cup
- Ginger Garlic paste - 1.5tsp
- Garam masala powder, Turmeric powder, Red chilli powder , Corriander powder - 1/2 tsp
- Oil - 2tsp (for tempering)
- Cumin seeds - 1tsp
- Ajwain (Carom seeds) - 1tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - for frying
- In a deep bowl mix the all-purpose flour, cumin seeds, ajwain seeds, oil and salt with warm water and make a smooth dough and brush some oil over the dough and keep aside coveered by a damp cloth for half an hour.
- Boil the potatoes and peel off the skin.
- In a pan heat 2 tsps of oil and crack the cumin seeds and ajwain seeds and add Onions, Green chillies and ginger garlic paste and saute until onions turn pink
- Add the Carrots and Green peas and saute for another 2mins.
- Now add the Garam masala powder, Turmeric powder, Red chilli powder and Corriander powder and Salt and saute for another 2mins and turn off the heat.
- Mash the potatoes and add it to the veggie mix and combine it all together well. Check if the filling is seasoned well.
- Take the dough and make small 'tennis ball sized' balls. (You may make larger balls depending on the size of the samosa)
- Roll each ball into an oval shape with a rolling pin and cut it into half (almost a semi circle)
- Make a cone shape by joining both the ends of the semi circle and pinch it together with the help of some oil or water.
- Add 1tsp of the potato-veggie into the cone and fold in the end and again pinch it so that it is tightly closed.
- Heat some oil in a deep pan to almost 350 degrees and add the samosa few at a time and fry it until golden brown.
- Serve hot with ketchup , mint chutney or dates chutney, Enjoy!
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 23g|
|Recipe makes 15 servings|
|Calories from Fat 0||0%|
|Total Fat 0.03g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0.01g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 2.97g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.5g||2%|