Coconut and Lime Chewy Sugar Cookies Recipe
Our cool SoCal summer is fading away fast and the yucky August heat waves are upon us...oh how I dread hot and sticky summer days. It's been a strange summer of coolness but it finally hit 88 degrees today. (It will get hotter when September rolls around.) I try and not to use the oven when the weather permits but I really wanted to use the limes that I keep in abundance from my kitchen. These cookies had tropical summer written all over them with the combination of coconut and lime so it was a small sacrifice to use my oven.
Whenever you add the zest of a citrus, it always intensifies the recipe to another foodie dimension. The oils in the peel give the sweet fragrant flavor. I love the idea of adding citrus to the sugar cookie and maybe orange, lemon and grapefruit would be an interesting twist, too. These are great cookies whenever you want a little taste of tropical summer. All I am missing is a 'rum cocktail' with a little umbrella for my perfect taste of a tropical summer. Hmmmm.....
- 2 Â¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Â½ teaspoon baking powder
- Â½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 Â½ cups white sugar
- 1 large egg
- Â½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest of one large lime
- 3 tablespoon lime juice
- Â½ cup toasted coconut
- Â½ cup sugar for rolling cookies
- 1 tablespoon colored sanding sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with silpats or parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Using a KA mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until smooth and fluffy. Scrape down any creamed butter mixture if not mixed.
- Beat in the egg, vanilla extract, lime juice and lime zest.
- Gradually add in the dry ingredients and toasted coconut.
- In a small bowl, add the Â½ cup sugar with the colored sanding sugar. Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of sugar cookie dough into balls using a small ice cream scooper and roll the dough in the sugar bowl until completely coated. Place on cookie sheets about 1 Â½ inches apart.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Let stand on cookie sheet for 2 minutes before removing to cooling rack. Enjoy!
Add Recipe to
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 274g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 437||38%|
|Total Fat 49.85g||62%|
|Saturated Fat 31.22g||125%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 167.5g||45%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.8g||9%|