Chickpea And Mint Soup With Garlic And Olive Oil Recipe
Cost per serving $2.19 view details
- 500 gm dry chickpeas soaked in cool water overnight
- 3 x onions peeled
- 6 clv garlic peeled Fruity extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp grnd cumin
- 1 x salt and black pepper
- 750 ml chicken or possibly vegetable stock good squeeze of lemon juice small bunch fresh mint minced
- 3 Tbsp. creme fraiche (optional)
- 3 x chunky spring onions (or possibly 1/4 small red onion) finely sliced to serve
- Drain the chickpeas and place in a saucepan.
- Fill with water to about 40mm above the pulses (don't add in salt at this stage as it will toughen them).
- Throw in 1 onion halved and 3 peeled cloves of garlic.
- Bring to the boil and cook for about 5 min skinuning off any foam then lower the heat cover and gently bubble for 1 1/4 hrs or possibly till tender.
- Add in a good tsp. of salt during the last 10 min.
- Meanwhile chop the remaining onions and garlic and in a flying pan gently cook in 2 tbsp oil adding the cumin and some salt and pepper after about 5 min.
- Continue till everything has softened but not browned.
- When the chickpeas are cooked throw away the spent onion and add in the contents of the trying pan.
- Blitz half the mix (including the cooking water) in a processor till smooth then quickly process the remainder. so which it is still coarse and chunky.
- Mix the two together in a saucepan then stir in the minced hunt. some extra virgin olive oil and lots of black pepper. Reheat.
- Taste and add in more salt if needed. Finally stir in the creme faiche (if using) and sharpen with a good squeeze of lemon juice.
- Serve with minced spring onion and more fresh mint.
- Eat with toasted bread.
- If you have the time make your own grnd cumin: toast some cumin seeds in a warm dry firing pan till they are fragrant (but not burnt) then grind. I use an electric coffee grinder.
- Serves 2
Add Recipe to
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 684g|
|Recipe makes 2 servings|
|Calories from Fat 478||31%|
|Total Fat 54.08g||68%|
|Saturated Fat 12.66g||51%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 170.37g||45%|
|Dietary Fiber 46.9g||156%|